Inspiring and teaching people to create healthy habitats in their yards by planting native plants and providing the essentials for wildlife to thrive.
Edie Parnum and Barb Elliot, PhD, Co-Directors of Backyards for Nature:
- Help homeowners create nature-friendly yards for birds, butterflies, and other native wildlife.
- Recommend planting locally native plants, the historic plants in our local ecosystem, to create a functioning web of life.
- Native plants offer optimal food, shelter, and breeding places for our native animals.
- They are essential hosts for native insects, the primary food for birds and many other creatures.
- Provide information on wildlife-friendly native plants for southeastern Pennsylvania and environs (see Recommended Native Plants and Sources of Native Plants).
- Present programs to local groups (see Request a Program).
- Offer on-site yard consultations for improving wildlife habitat (See Request a Yard Visit).
- Write the Backyards for Nature blog with ecosystem gardening information and backyard nature observations.